05 November 2011

Calabrian dialect

In Calabria most italians in their homes do not speak italian as we foreigners know it, absolutely no. Most people, specially old ones, do not even speak with you in italian, 'cause they just do not know it. They use their own language-calabrian.
Which is pretty different from italian. Although this "language" is not so much for writing as it is for speaking. It consists some letters that they pronounce very particular way,but in written language is impossible to express.
"Calabrian dialect is for speaking not for writing," told one calabrese.
Calabrian dialect is one of most spoken dialects in all over the world, as throughout history "i calabresi" have emigrated to another countries, as for example Argentina, France, Switzerland, USA, Australia and Germany.
Calabrian dialect, I must mention, is different in every province, there stay them five.Although stay some similarities and they manage to understand each other perfectly. As well in Calabria stay some cities where people still speak as well old greek language, which is very different from the dialect. Old greek is still spoken in some little cities in ionic coast  for example in Bova Marina, Roghudi Nuovo, Bovesìa and Gallicianò.
How is calabrian different from italian language? Some examples as proverbs I have managed to learn.

* Ca l'acqua gugghi e u porcu è ancora nta muntagna.
Qua l'acqua bolle, però il porco è ancora nelle montagne.
 
Here water boils, but the pig is still in the mountains!

*Munti cu munti no si ncuntra, ma frunti cu frunti...  
La montagna con altra non si incontra, ma fronte con fronte... 

One mountain with another do not meet,BUT forehead with another...

*U surici  ncissi a nuci: "Ammi tempu ca ti perciu!"
Il topo dice alla noce: "Dammi il tempo che ti rompo!"

Mouse tell to nut: "Give me time, I break you!"

These are just some examples written in calabrian dialect spoken in province of Reggio Calabria.

8 comments:

  1. As the daughter of Calabrian immigrants in America, I grew up with the Calabrian dialect. I learned Italian as an adult and can say that Italian is actually easier to speak and write, but I think the indiviudal dialects of southern Italy are beautiful to hear. It's sad that they are disappearing with the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dialects are beautiful, one part of Italian culture that I adore. Specially in Calabria, which is rich of different variation of dialects.
    Northen italians, specially young ones, they do not speak anymore dialect, which is sad. But in south they speak. Young, old, all! So I am learning this as my next language ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there were some books on dialect. My Grandfather came from the Aspromonte area of Reggio--I don't know of their dialect was the same as above, but I think so. Do you know of any books . . . so I can translate some old letters? jejo1950@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am of Siciliian descent and I speak Sicilian, which is very much like southern Calabrese. The people of Reggio Calabria speak the same as the people of Messina, Sicily. I am still learning words too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Central and Southern Calabrese are dialects of the Sicilian language, and northern Calabrese is a dialect of Neapolitan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Southern and central Calabria speak a dialect of Sicilian. I have been to Reggio Calabria, and they speak the same as the people in Messina, Sicily

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a dialect" means it's a dirivitive of a principle language. the Calabrian language is not a dirivitive of the Florentine Italian language. hence it's not a dialect. had Dante, Boccacio, St. Francis lived in Calabria, perhaps the national language of Italy could have been the Calabrian language.

    ReplyDelete